Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Why does Brugges have an "s" on the end??

Beats me!  I have absolutely no idea.

This was the sunrise this morning. A little on the industrial side but still pretty...kind of. 


OK, so here is the deal...Bruges is the most incredibly charming place on earth! 


In the background is the largest church in Europe built entirely out of bricks...that may not be entirely true because I wasn't paying 100% attention to our tour guide (I know, shocking huh?!)
The tree branches going horizontally are branches they've groomed over the years to grow this way and when they fill in with leaves it provides shade. So far, these have been everyplace I've been. A lot of people even have them on their property. Again, I wasn't paying 100% attention but  If I would have been I could tell you the name of the tree!
This was our tour guide Charlene, and OMG, what a hoot! Actually she was two or three hoots! If you looked to the right there is a man in a hat and a woman in a blue coat... those are our new friends Tracy and Victoria, they are from Alabama and they've been literally all over the world. This is their fourth Viking River cruise. 
 I'm really surprised by the number of families on this boat. All with adult children with the exception of one 15-year-old boy, this can't be very fun for him.  Even though there are still a lot of couples, there are probably an equal number of siblings. 

After our tour was over we had the afternoon free to roam on our own. Of course oru first stop was the Salvador Dali Museum. 

Secondly we went to the Picasso museum and much to my surprise was Miro and Matisse were also on display...also two of my favorites!!!

This is a tablet case, but do you remember that I had this painting in my house in Gilbert??!

This picture is for my beautiful daughter Cami Jo… who used to love to watch Judge Judy. Brugges is actually known for their very fine lace. Judge Judy's collar is actually from Bruges! CJ, guess what you're getting for your next love gift?!


This is where 90 nuns live

The people who live in Brugges call this the River of Love. This is an old nursing home where people spend the last years or months of their lives overlooking the Love River.

Very fitting that on our way back to the bus we happen to see a duck with her ducklings in the reflection of the nursing home. 

We're now back on the boat where we set sail at...well hell I don't know what time.

Love to you!!!
Mom/Cyn 

3 comments:

  1. Glad you found friends!!! I would have guessed your tour guide was a hoot... She looks like one! Also, Brittney Knudson is in holland right now!!!! How crazy huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I definitely want to go to Bruges. Your pictures are beautiful! I looked up the Dali Museum and it said that the collection of Dali in Bruges is the best in the world. Lucky you! Also, did you ever see the movie "In Bruges"? It is a hilarious black comedy that came out 5 or so years ago, staring Colin Farrell. I remember reading that the film was actually filmed in Bruges, and how beautiful I thought the setting was. I think I'll watch it again, in honor of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the last pictures as well as all the others. Bruges, what a beautiful place. I can see why you may not want to come home! The museums, paintings, lace, OMG I loved it all. You have done a great job posting. Sometime feel like I am there. See you soon. XOXO Mom

    ReplyDelete