Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Arnhem, Kinderdijk, Antwerp


What a peaceful day walking through the cemetery of the. The sky was cloudy but there was  clearly a fight taking place right before my eyes between the sun, and the blue, and the gray sky.  I'm definitely on the sun and the blue team, but hey, I can't win all the time.

I do feel the sun and the warmth it offers to these soldiers who fought in WWII.  I'm trying to figure out why some of the headstones of the fallen don't have names on them.  I'm saddened by the thought that they may have had no family that cared for them or friends that loved them.   Working for many years in the urban, inner-city area of Phx, I got to know many children who had no one...or at least no one of any kind of quality.  To every fallen child in this cemetery, I will be your mother and care of every one of you; let me hold you in my arms, stroke your cheek and wipe your brow, and tell you that you are indeed loved.  Your life WAS for something.  



In Kinderdijk we saw the picturesque Dutch contryside on and excursion to the historic Kinderdij windills which were buit in the mid-18th century.  People actually still live in the windmills but they must agree to keep them in working order so that much of this Dutch heritage is kept alive.  







Our boat is small compared to a cruise ship.  We have really become acquainted with just about everyone I think.  Everyone does everything at the same time so your bound to be on a bus with or sitting at a table with some of the same people.
 It's been really too chilly to sit on the top
deck, I know I would like it up there.  
There is a beautiful herb garden, shuffle board, a putting green, a walking track and many lounge chairs to nap or enjoy the scenery on the upper deck.
 There are also tables to enjoy a game of Yahtzee or rummy.  BUT here is the deal...even if it were nice enough, there is absolutely no time.  We're on the move all of the time!  The only reason I have time to write right now is because my feet are so swollen that I literally cannot put on shoes so I decided to stay on board and keep my feet up so hopefully I can go out this afternoon.  We're in Antwerp, Belgium.  This afternoon I'll definitely go out, even if I have to go in the "cool" wooden-shoe-like slippers I bought.  Belgium beer, Belgium chocolate and Diamonds oh my!!!!
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that we passed by Noah's Ark. 

Once again the wifi SUCKS the big one so I'll have to upoad the phots a few at a time and hopefully they'll all be postable by tonight!

Love you!!!
Mom/Cyn

No comments:

Post a Comment